Monday, January 4, 2010

FINNEGAN MUST BEGIN AGAIN





These are my best friends Finnegan (black & white) and Stella (gray & white). Both were rescued from shelters at around 5 months of age so I know very little about their backgrounds before they came to me. I was wondering if you could tell Finnegan that he should never run away from me or the house when off leash because it is dangerous?

Stella always seems very nervous and sometimes tinkles in the house. I would like to know if there is something I could do to make her feel more secure & happy? And you probably get this all the time but....do they know how very much I LOVE them?
Best Wishes, Lianna S.
__________________________________________

Dear Lianna,

I’m getting a very strong feeling that when Finnegan runs when he is off leash, he may think you are playing a game. Try not letting him off leash unless he is in an enclosed area and/or use a long line leash (some are 15-20 feet in length). It would be a great idea contact a trainer in your area and work together so Finnegan understands and learns the command 'come' as a game, but with a reward.

Stella and her excitable urination is something that can happen for a number of reasons. I’d strongly suggest that you first find out if there is a physical problem by taking Stella to the vet. Once it has been determined that she is physically ok, you may need to use lots of positive reinforcement. Try to remain calm around her, especially when greeting her, and always reward her when she responds without urinating. When greeting her, keep it low key, or take the greeting outside. A fun thing to do with her to build up her confidence is agility training or fly ball classes, and that can be as much fun for the family as it is for Stella!

Finally, please know that they both love you very much and they are fully aware that you love them! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment